You may enjoy Fr. Richard Rohr's lecture on Male Initiation, a very interesting talk on the nature of men that explains a lot about the America's massive male extended adolescence.
It can remind you of the great epics like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc. -- where the hero has to cross the threshold and not look back. See below.
Pass along to someone who may like it.
(31min., MP3, 18MB)
It's on YouTube in several sections, so here I've pieced it together into one file and enhanced the sound. (It's only 31 mins.)
- Around 15 yrs old, brain cells massively die off if there is no male initiation; that is, if the boy is not given a coordinated mission; a reason to give their life—meaning. Otherwise he goes into malaise, addiction, gangs, cynicism, etc. that says life is not great, and he must be his own father.
- Jesus has his initiation when tested 40 days in the desert.
- The mission connects spirituality and sexuality; both involve the giving of life for the other. So there is a type of inner cross and resurrection.
- Women, strongly because of menstural cycles, have a more natural instinct to give life for the other. Men must be led into it. Hence "initiation".
- In the wilderness he can't run from his trial. When outside of his comfort zone, he has to call on outside resources. no sex, drug or addictions to distract or dilute the pain.
- All transformation occurs in liminal space ("in-between space" right before a breakthrough) which can turn bad or good; such as the stunned space from post 9/11 U.S. (bad) or falling in love (good). The drama: which way will a person go? E.g., in WWI left Germany mostly fatherless, and they filled the void with Hitler! The drive to be Fathered is core.
- To be a real man, the boy must be led into the wilderness, stripped of natural powers and freely choose to let go, received the mission from above, and equipping gifts from the Father. The result is Glory.
Mission of an Adult
I am calling you to a maturity in your Christian life necessary to fulfill the wonderful plans I have set for you. "When you were a child, you talked, thought, and reasoned like a child. When you became a man, you put childish ways behind you" (I Cor 13:11).
Have you put your childish ways behind you yet? How often do you still seek your own way, not Mine? To whom does vengeance belong? (Romans 12:19) Do 'the lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes, and the pride of life' still dominate much of your world? (1 John 2:16) Do you freely and immediately forgive others as I have forgiven you? (Luke 6:37) Is My Word alive in your heart enough to truly be 'a lamp unto your feet'? (Psalm 119:105)
You would not send a child out to do the mission of an adult. Nor will I. I give you the tools of perfecting your way--My Spirit, My Word, My spiritual gifts covered in My love and grace. They are yours for the asking with the submission of your heart to My will.
Do you not realize, your life is passing away as it is but 'a breeze that does not return'? (Psalm 78:39) Spend it wisely. See and live what I have for you. Drink it in. All of it.
I never hold back toward My people whom I love. Do not hold back either. Open your heart to receive what I have for you. Let My plan unfold graciously in your life. Take it in and pour it out to everyone whether they "deserve" it or not. Be Christ to one another. Become the Father to those in need. Let My Holy Spirit live in you today.